Thursday 4 March 2010

A Single Man

Tom Ford


I went to see A Single Man for the first time last night and I was utterly blown away. It has to be one of the most beautifully shot films I have seen in a long time. The visually stunning manner in which it was shot captivated me until the very end. Each scene was considered to perfection. The touching relationships highlighted in the film had my face set into a disconcertingly sad frown, that I'm sure if seen by anyone else would think I was related to Firth. And talking of perfection were the clothes and styling. Produced by Tom Ford expectations were rightfully set high, and they didn't fail to disappoint. Everything about the film was slick and elegant, including the clothes and score. The protagonist, Colin Firth, was the most impeccably dressed I have ever seen him and his performance was undeniably outstanding.





The story depicts a man torn apart by the loss of his partner, quietly grieving in solitude. Surrounded by a grey world he struggles to see the warmth in life, only at first brought to him by memories of his loved one, which leave him more torn apart than before. It is a journey of self discovery and progression to find the light in life once more. The dreamy element in which it is shot, perfection almost to the point of appearing like a 100 minute ad, combined with Colin Firth's flawless performance has created this stunning film. See it whilst in cinemas, you won't forget it.


1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. I thought it was perfect in every way. I wonder, tho, if that's a girl/gay guy thing, because the 1st time I saw it (with my husband) soon as it ended I said 'That's the best film I've ever seen' completely in sync with him saying 'That's the worst film I've ever seen.' A short survey of a few friends had the same result.

    That said, I've seen it twice so far and can't wait to see it again. Probably one of the most moving films I've ever seen: that image of him grief stricken with Charley haunts me. I was never particularly a Firth fan but that film has changed my mind.

    LOVELY blog & lovely to meet you today, Natasha. Every post is about something I love or relate to.

    ReplyDelete